Palace still behind ICC Judge Miriam
MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang remains supportive of Senator Miriam Santiago's impending assumption of a seat in the International Criminal Court, amid a petition by some quarters to have this canceled given her outburst when she explained her vote to acquit Chief Justice Renato Corona.
The Aquino administration campaigned for Santiago's election to become a judge in the ICC.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said Santiago's opinion should be respected.
"This is a free country… The senator's verdict should be respected, in the same way that the opinion of other people should be respected," Valte said.
"The nomination had been borne out of the record of the senator and that we did push for Senator Santiago and she's already there. I think it should end there. Nandoon na po siya. She has been accepted," she added.
In voting to acquit Corona on Tuesday, Santiago said: “It makes me angry…as a future judge of the International Criminal Court that we administer justice in this manner.”