Comelec to nix half of Senate aspirants
MANILA, Philippines - More than half of the 84 senatorial aspirants who filed certificates of candidacy will be disqualified for the 2013 elections, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Wednesday.
In an interview with radio DZMM, Chairman Sixto Brillantes said the poll body has already finished deliberations and will soon declare the legitimate candidates for the upcoming midterm elections.
"Lalabas na 'yung desisyon namin either sa Friday or Monday... Alam na namin kung sinong dapat tanggalin as nuisance candidates at ide-declare na rin namin 'yung mga legitimate candidates for senators for the 2013 elections. 'Yung 84 na senador siguro mahigit kalahati ang matatanggal," Brillantes said.
Brillantes added that the Comelec will announce today the disqualification of more party-list groups.
He said about five to six party-list groups will be declared disqualified today. This, in addition to the previously disqualified thirteen registered party-list groups including Ako Bicol.