DOTC yet to decide on Filinvest-Megawide row

Posted at 01/10/14 3:16 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) has yet to decide on the ongoing dispute between the Filinvest and Megawide groups over the P17.5 billion Mactan-Cebu airport project.

Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said the agency is in the process of reviewing the complaint filed by the Filinvest-Changi Consortium, which submitted the second highest bid, against top bidder Megawide and its Indian partner GMR.

“Ipo-proseso natin ‘yan, ive-iverify at pag-aaralan, eventually dedisyunan natin kung sino ang dapat awardan,” he told dzMM on Friday.

Filinvest alleges that Megawide-GMR and and another bidder, First Philippine Airports Consortium have a conflict of interest.

The Megawide-GMR group has denied the allegations.

Filinvest's questions have delayed the awarding of the government's biggest public–private partnership (PPP) so far.

Meanwhile, Abaya also clarified that there are no plans to transfer the services of Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) to Clark, saying having an in-city airport is an “asset” to tourism and business.

“Ang direction diyan at pine-presenta namin sa ating Pangulo ay mina-master plan ang Clark at sinusuportahan natin ang Clark. Magtatayo tayo ng low-cost terminal at eventually ay legacy terminal,” he said.

NAIA, on the other hand, will increase its terminal and runway capacity in efforts to decongest the country’s main international gateway.