Malaysia defers air talks with Philippines

Posted at 04/03/2014 5:37 PM | Updated as of 04/03/2014 5:59 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Malaysia has deferred air talks with the Philippines scheduled this week, as authorities continue to search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Civil Aeronautics Board executive director Carmelo Arcilla said Malaysia has asked the Philippines to defer the air negotiations, which were originally scheduled on April 3 and 4.

"Malaysia asked for deferment to another date that will be agreed upon later. It’s because of the ill-fated Malaysia Airline flight 370 which they are dealing with now," he said.

There has been no new date set for the air talks.

On Thursday, Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak visited the Australian search base for missing Flight MH370 as a nuclear-powered submarine joined the near-four week hunt that has so far failed to find any sign of the missing airliner and the 239 people on board.

Razak joined his Australian counterpart Tony Abbott at RAAF Base Pearce, near Perth, where aircrews from seven countries have been flying dozens of missions deep into the southern Indian Ocean looking for debris from the Malaysia Airlines jet.

"The world expects us to do our level best, and I'm very confident we will indeed show what we can do together as a group of nations; that we want to find answers, that we want to provide comfort to the families and we will not rest until answers are indeed found," said Najib, as the two leaders spoke to search and recovery team at the air base.

The Boeing 777 lost communications and disappeared from civilian radar less than an hour into an overnight flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8.

It was briefly picked up on military radar on the other side of Malaysia and analysis of subsequent hourly electronic "pings" sent to a satellite led investigators to conclude the plane crashed far off the west Australian coast hours later. - With Reuters