NEDA board approves LRT 2 extension, airport projects
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) - The National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) board on Tuesday formally approved 9 projects including the flood management master plan for Metro Manila, Light Rail Transit Line 2 East Extension project, Bicol and Bohol airport projects, and the purchase of 52 new cars for the Metro Rail Transit (MRT).
Newly appointed Interior Secretary Mar Roxas made the announcement on Twitter (@MARoxas). "PNoy and NEDA Board jst formally OK'd the following... Tuloy-tuloy na ito! PNoy, NEDA Board formally OK'd the ff: LRT 2 EXT to Masinag; Daraga-Legaspi, Panglao-Bohol airports; 52 new train cars for MRT."
The P9.76 billion LRT Line 2 East Extension project involves the construction of a 4.19-kilometer extension from the existing Santolan Station to Masinag Junction (intersection of Marcos Highway and Sumulong Highway). Two stations will be built at Emerald Drive, Cainta (in front of Robinson’s Place Metro East) and Masinag Junction, Antipolo City.
The P4.799 billion Bicol International Airport project will entail the construction of a new domestic airport of international standards in Daraga, Albay to replace Legazpi Airport. Project duration is from 2013-2015.
The New Bohol (Panglao) Airport Development Project is estimated to cost P7.4 billion, and the duration is from 2012-2017.
Another project is the P8.6 billion MRT 3 capacity extension project, which involves the acquisition of more train coaches from this year until 2019.
Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office (PCDSPO) Secretary Ricky Carandang said other projects approved were:
- Flood management master plan for Metro Manila and surrounding areas, with a total cost of P351 billion and project duration from 2012-2035. A P5 billion initial allocation was approved for the improvement of various floodways/ drainage systems and river capacities in Metro Manila, Regions III and IV-A from 2012-2013. The project will be completed by 2035.
- Various bridge projects throughout the country, including those in calamity-stricken areas. Cost is P16.3 billion; project duration: 2013-2017.
- Change in the scope, increase in cost and implementation extension for the Mindanao Roads Improvement Project (MRIP). The cost is P3.9 billion and the project duration is from 2012-2014.
- Strengthening of the Angat Dam and dike project of the MWSS. Cost: P5.7 billion; duration: 2013-2016.
- PSALM's request for financing Agus VI Hydroelectric Power Plant (Units 1 and 2) uprating project.
Carandang said the approval was deferred for two projects as more technical details were needed: the Cavite-Laguna Expressway project and the plan to acquire patrol boats for the Philippine Coast Guard.
Abaya attends NEDA meeting
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said newly appointed Transportation Secretary Jun Abaya sat in at the meeting in Malacañang, presided over by President Aquino.
Abaya has not officially assumed office as DOTC secretary pending his confirmation.
As the current House appropriations committee chair, Abaya is reportedly expected to see through the passage of the budget until the third reading.
“He’s incoming DOTC secretary and the DOTC has a lot of projects that go through NEDA board. So perhaps, Secretary Abaya is also wanting to immediately get the feel of the work pace. Kasi hindi naman po lahat ng opisyal ng pamahalaan ay nakakaupo [sa] NEDA board. Siguro po, gusto rin niyang makita kung papaano ang flow,” Valte told reporters.