Salamat Dok: Ensaladang Langka (Jackfruit Salad)
Jackfruit or “langka”, as we Filipinos call it, is an enormous spiky oval shaped fruit which is usually found in most tropical countries.
Not a lot of people know that this giant fruit contains different kinds of vitamins and minerals which are essential for our health. It is abundant in potassium which helps a lot in lowering blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Today we’re teaching you how to prepare a nutritious jackfruit recipe taught by Chef Tatung. It’s super easy to prepare!
But before that, here are some of the health benefits of the ingredients:
Boiled unripe jackfruit
Sukang paombong or any type of vinegar
• Put at least 1 teaspoon of sugar and salt in a bowl.
• Add the chopped ginger and green chili. You can add as much as you want
• Add the onions and tomatoes then put the cucumber.
• Squeeze the calamansi, or lemon juice, on the bowl. This is just optional; we just added it because of the vitamin C we get from it.
• Pour at least ¼ cup of vinegar onto the bowl then add the bite-size chopped jackfruits and then stir. (We usually boil the jackfruit for at least 15 minutes or until it’s tender)
• Add some fresh lettuce or any edible flower you want to eat.
See? It’s so easy to prepare. In less than an hour, you’ve prepared a healthy snack which is surely affordable! Go and try making your own Ensaladang Langka and start living a healthy life now, because “health is wealth”! – with a report from Obette Serrano, Photos by Yam dela Cruz, Segment Kusina Clinic, aired April 8, 2012