Salamat Dok: Healthy snack recipe
School days are here again! Many parents have already done early shopping for supplies, uniforms, shoes and all the things needed for school. Now they’re busy helping their kids cover the books while others are cramming at the malls and in Divisoria.
During this time of the year, parents’ responsibilities do not end in shopping alone. Come school opening, the anguish of meal preparation begins. If you are doing your meal plan by now, you may want to include this healthy sandwich for your kids taught to us by Chef Portia Baluyot. Here’s how:
- Sliced bread (white or wheat)
- Bread Crumbs
- Take 2 slices of bread
- Press one slice of bread using rolling pin, plate or saucer
- Spread some mayonnaise
- Put as much lettuce tomato and bacon as desired
- Add cheese and put the other slice of bread on top.
- Cut the bread into 4 pieces and set aside.
- Prepare the batter of eggs and milk.
- Put bread crumbs in a separate container
- Submerge all sides of the bread onto the egg batter
- Take the coated bread slices and coat the bread with bread crumbs. Make sure all sides are coated. It’s the bread crumbs that will make it crunchy!
- Heat pan and put butter
- Put the bread and maintain medium heat until it turns brown
- Make sure to heat up all sides of the bread so that the veggies won’t come out.
“We call this Crunchy Bacon Sandwich. The good thing about this snack recipe is its vegetable component. It provides the much needed vitamins by the body while the bread makes up for the fiber requirement. If you desire to make it healthier, you may want to use wheat bread instead of the regular white bread,” says Portia Baluyot, Chef and Owner of Isabelo Garden Restaurant.