Charlene welcomes Court of Appeals decision

Posted at 02/18/13 12:30 PM

 Television host Charlene Gonzales
MANILA, Philippines – Television host Charlene Gonzales welcomed the decision of the Court of Appeals (CA) to reinstate her and husband Aga Muhlach in the list of registered voters in Camarines Sur.

Muhlach is currently vying for a congressional seat in the fourth district of Camarines Sur in the upcoming midterm elections.

Speaking on “The Buzz” where she is one of the hosts on Sunday, Gonzales said the decision to remove them from the voters’ list was clearly just political harassment.

“Wala talagang basehan. The local court, the municipal trial court, regional trial court never gave us a fair trial. Kaya nga umakyat sa Court of Appeals. Sabi nga ang problema, they did not interpret the law but they changed the law,” she said.

Gonzales said her husband made sure that he has complied with the all the requirements before he ran for a public post.

“Bago naman pumasok sa ganitong chapter si Aga, he made sure na lahat ng legalities niya tama. So from the very beginning, it was plainly political harassment at pang-aapi lang po talaga sa amin,” she said.

“We are now official voters of CamSur. They were trying to disqualify Aga, it's a long story pero kami po ay nagpapasalamat sa Court of Appeals for hearing our side. Nagpapasalamat din ako sa mga sumusporta sa amin. In the end, you just can’t put down a good man with a good heart,” she added.

Last week, CA’s 12th Division annulled and set aside the ruling of the San Jose, Camarines Sur Regional Trial Court excluding Muhlach and Gonzales from the voters' list.

The CA also ordered the Commission on Elections to include the couple in the voters list and "annotate them on the Voters Registration Record."

The appellate court stressed that the right to vote is a vital right and duty of every Filipino, and that a citizen willing to exercise this right should not be disenfranchised for as long as he complies with what is required under the law.