ABS-CBN: Kris Aquino will fulfill her commitments
MANILA, Philippines -- The management of ABS-CBN said Kris Aquino will continue to fulfill her commitments to her programs with the Kapamilya network, despite her announcement of her resignation on national TV Thursday.
In a statement released Saturday afternoon, Bong Osorio, Head of ABS-CBN Integrated Corporate Communications, said network executives will meet with the 42-year-old actress-host upon her return to the Philippines.
Aquino is scheduled to go on vacation on Saturday in Paris, France, along with her sons James "Bimby" Yap, Jr. and Joshua.
In a live interview on the evening newscast "TV Patrol" on Thursday, Aquino announced that she is tendering her resignation from her showbiz commitments, citing it as a sacrifice to ensure the welfare of her son Bimby.
Aquino has a morning talk show "Kris TV," which airs weekdays on ABS-CBN. She also stars in the primetime soap "Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw," which is set for a one-season run. On weekends, she appears as a judge on the reality talent search "Pilipinas Got Talent."
“I’m giving up my shows. Hindi ko sinasabi 'yan just so that I can say na I’m the one making the bigger sacrifice. Tinatalikuran ko ang mundo na kinilala ko na bumuhay sa akin dahil higit doon sa karera ko, mas mahal ko ang anak ko,” she said.
Addressing Aquino's on-air resignation, Osorio said, "Upon her return, Kris will fulfill her commitment to her soap 'Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw,' which is nearing its end."
"She will also have to stay as [a] judge in 'Pilipinas Got Talent' till its end in June. Being a foreign franchise, there are commitments we have to fulfill and rules we need to abide by," he said.
As for Aquino's weekday talk show, Osorio said upcoming episodes had already been taped. "'Kris TV' had taped advanced episodes in anticipation of her long planned vacation with her sons," he said.
It is unclear, however, if the daily program will resume taping upon Aquino's return from her vacation.
"Meanwhile, we wish Kris and her sons a peaceful and restful vacation. We respect her need for privacy at this difficult time," the ABS-CBN statement said.
Earlier this week, Aquino's legal counsel Atty. Francisco Chavez said Aquino is seeking to make a temporary protection order (TPO) against Yap permanent. The order requires the 31-year-old basketball player to keep a distance of at least 100 meters from his former wife and Bimby.
Issued on March 15 by a Makati City court, the order is effective for 30 days.
The TPO stems from an incident last December 3, when Yap allegedly attempted to "force himself" on Aquino in front of Bimby, at which point the child, according to Chavez, angrily pushed his father out of the actress' bedroom.
Aquino has said that Yap's "advances," which the star cager has denied, has had "effects" on their son Bimby. This, and three other incidents in January and March where Yap allegedly caused "distress" on their son, the actress said, were what prompted her to seek a TPO against her former husband, and subsequently seek its permanent effectivity.
On Friday, both Aquino's and Yap's camp were issued a gag order by a Makati City court in relation to their ongoing legal battle.
A hearing is set on April 8 to address Aquino's request to make the TPO permanent.