Cinema One Originals announces 10 finalists
MANILA, Philippines – Movie cable channel Cinema One has unveiled the 10 finalists for its 2011 Cinema One Originals Digital Film Festival.
"It is very diverse this year with 4 female directors in the mix, regional movies coming from Mindanao,Cebu and even Mes De Guzman movie is set in the northern part of Luzon (Nueva Vizcaya). We have heavy dramas, light dramas, comedies, horror, arthouse fares and movies dealing with children", said Cinema One channel head Ronald Arguelles.
"All 10 titles continue this tradition of Cinema One Originals to introduce new talents/ filmmakers and relevant, exciting, different movie content to its audience," added Arguelles.
The finalists are:
- “Big Boy” by director and production designer Shireen Seno
- “Mga Anino sa Tanghaling Tapat” by writer-director Ivy Universe Baldoza
- “Sa Ilalim ng Tulay” by writer-director Earl Bontuyan
- “My Paranormal Romance” by Victor Villanueva
- “Sa Kanto ng Ulap at Lupa” by writer-producer- director Mes de Guzman
- “Anatomiya ng Korupsyon” written for the stage by Malou Jacob and adapted for the screen by scriptwriter and filmmaker Dennis Marasigan
- “Cartas de Soledad” (Letters of Solitude) by writer-producer-director Gutierrez ‘Teng’ Mangansakan II
- “Six Degrees of Separation From Lilia Cuntapay” by Antoinette H. Jadaone
- “Ka Oryang” by Sari Lluch Dalena
- “Di Ingon Na ‘To” (Not Like Us) by writer-director team Brandon Relucio and Ivan Zaldarriaga
Out of nearly 150 entries, the finalists were thoroughly picked by the selection committee composed of Arguelles, Teddy Co, Sherad Anthony Sanchez, Nick Olanka, Tammy Bejarano Dinopol, Jinky Laurel, Raymond Diamzon, Kathleen Pador and Lilit Reyes.
Each of these finalists will receive a grant of P1 million to produce their movie and compete in the much-anticipated digital film festival to be held this October at the Shang Cineplex in Mandaluyong.
Meanwhile, Cinema One also announced that a 2010 Cinema One Originals finalist, “Damgo ni Eleutera,” will compete in Jeonju International Film Festival this May.
Another 2010 Cinema One Original finalist, “Third World Happy,” starring Sam Milby, will also be showcased in the Cinemafest section of the film fest, and will have a special screening in SM Malls starting May 26.