Tulfos' threats not first violation: MTRCB

Posted at 05/09/2012 12:34 PM

MANILA, Philippines -- The Movie Television Review and Classification Board may suspend or cancel the show “T3” of the Tulfo brothers for making grave threats against celebrity couple Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barretto on air.

MTRCB chairperson Grace Poe-Llamanzares said a hearing will be held tomorrow, May 10, wherein the legal team of the board will prove that the show violated ethical standards.

Llamanzares said this is not the first time the MTRCB has received complaints about the Tulfo brothers’ program. She said another program of the Tulfo brothers was also suspended.

"Marami na rin kasi nangyari sa show nila, hindi lang ito 'yung tinawag natin ang kanilang pansin. Meron na kaming file at ilang beses na rin sila humingi ng paumanhin. Paminsan-minsan, bilang commentator mayroon tayong reaction pero mas malaki ang responsibilidad natin sa nakikinig,” she said.

“Nagpaumanhin man sila, nangyari na po 'yun. Kailangan din natin bigyan ng tamang pagsisiyasat kung ano ang tamanag kaparusahan,” she added.

Llamanzares said she personally watched the Tulfo brothers make threats on air against Santiago and Barretto, as well as their subsequent apology.

"Meron tayong section 3c na sinasabi yung mga palabas na contrary to law and good customs…nakasaad sa ating Penal Code, bawal ang grave threat kanino man. Maaari itong maging basehan na magkaroon sila ng matinding violation. 'Yun po ang patutunayan ng prosecution side ng MTRCB at didingin 'yan ng three independent board members at yung chair ng adjudication committee na si Atty. Toto Villareal,” she said.

Llamanzares said the Tulfo brothers could attend the hearing so they could explain their side. However, the MTRCB requires a network representative to be present in the hearing because any penalties will be slapped on the program or the network and not the Tulfo brothers.

The MTRCB chief said she sees a quick hearing since the case is more clear-cut.

In a statement released on Tuesday, TV5 Corp. said the network does not condone the on-air threats made by Erwin, Raffy and Ben Tulfo against the celebrity couple on their show, which aired on the network last Monday

MTRCB board member Atty. Eugenio "Toto" Villareal said the MTRCB was "shocked" that the Tulfo brothers threatened and cursed the celebrity couple live on their show.

The MTRCB appealed to the executive producers of all networks to be careful for the sake of TV viewers, especially children.

In 2010, the MTRCB placed the ABS-CBN talent show "Showtime" on a 20-day preventive suspension, after guest judge Rosanna Roces made controversial statements against teachers and co-judge Vice Ganda.

Last year, TV5's "Willing Willie" hosted by Willie Revillame was also suspended by the MTRCB for one month amid a public uproar over its March 12 episode wherein a 6-year-old boy was cajoled into simulating a striptease. -- with report from Dennis Datu, DZMM