'Exhausted' Willie to concentrate on businesses

Posted at 05/22/13 1:19 PM

Television host Willie Revillame. File photo

MANILA, Philippines – Television host Willie Revillame is planning to devote his time on his businesses once his contract with the No. 3 network TV5 expires in October.

In his letter, dated May 17, 2013, to TV5 chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan and president and chief executive Atty. Ray V. Espinosa, which was published by The Philippine Star on Wednesday, Revillame cited exhaustion for his decision to “take a much-needed break from show business at the end of my contract.”

According to the letter, Revillame’s co-production agreement and contract with TV5 will both expire on October 15, 2013.

“I recall your advice some time ago that I should take some time off whenever I feel exhausted due to my Monday to Saturday schedule. I have not done so for the past two years and seven months,” Revillame wrote in his letter to “Sir MVP and Atty. Ray.”

“The daily grind of show business had finally taken its toll on me. I gave every ounce of energy I had every time I stepped on stage to fulfill my bounden duty to the network, the sponsors, and most of all, to our viewers.

“With a heavy heart, I shall take a much-needed break from show business at the end of my contract. This will allow me to think and ponder whether I should continue my showbiz career or devote my time to the business I have set up over the years,” he said.

Revillame made the announcement of his “retirement” during his noontime show “Wowowillie” on Tuesday.

“Alam ninyo, may mga personal na rason na hindi ko na sasabihin sa inyo. Ako muna’y magpapahinga ng ilang buwan, ng isang taon o anuman... Tatapusin ko na lang po ang kontrata ko sa TV5,” he said as quoted by the entertainment website Pep.ph.

“Ganyan talaga ang buhay. Kasi kailangan ko rin ng time. Malungkot lang ay hindi tayo magkikita araw-araw. Wala nang sigawan, walang umiiyak sa saya, walang nabibigyan ng pamasahe, walang nabibigyan ng ganito," he added.

Revillame told his viewers that the last show of “Wowowillie” might be on October 12.

For its part, the network said it “respects the decision of Mr. Willie Revillame to retire upon the expiry of his contract with TV5.”

In the article of Philippine Star entertainment editor Ricky Lo on Wednesday, Revillame said he will concentrate on the construction of Wil Tower in Quezon City and a hotel in Tagaytay.

“He’s also planning to travel a lot, in some of which he’s bringing along his whole staff to whom he has been consistently generous,” Lo wrote.

Asked about his plans for next year, Revillame told Lo: “I Wil return! Basta, abangan n’yo na lang!”

Last month, ABS-CBN president and chief executive officer Charo Santos-Concio denied rumors that Revillame will return to the Kapamilya network.

"That's not true. We're not in talks with Willie Revillame. We're very happy with the ratings of '[It's] Showtime.' We're very happy with 'Showtime,'" she said in a press conference.

Revillame left ABS-CBN in 2010.