Bon Jovi to headline Rock in Rio event
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Rock in Rio festival will resume late Friday with US rock band Bon Jovi to get star billing but without drummer Tico Torres, who awaited surgery.
The rock group is kicking off its "Because We Can" concert tour in Latin America to promote its chart-topping new album "What About Now."
But the 59-year-old Torres was due to have bladder surgery and will be replaced by Rich Scannella.
Last week, Torres underwent emergency appendectomy in Mexico City, forcing Bon Jovi to postpone scheduled concert dates in Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
"I am very disappointed not to be able to play, but our friend Rich Scannella will replace me. You are in good hands," the popular drummer said in a statement addressed to his fans.
Bon Jovi is scheduled to perform in Sao Paulo on Saturday.
In Rio de Janeiro, die-hard Bon Jovi fans arrived early to stake out good spots in front of the World stage, where their idols were to perform shortly after midnight.
"I have been a fan of the band since the beginning and today my daughters adore them," said 42-year-old Michelline Alves, flanked by her daughters, Natalia, 18, Lorena, 17, and Nicole, 14.
US diva Beyonce and French DJ David Guetta opened Rock in Rio, one of the world's largest music festivals, last Saturday.
Justin Timberlake, Metallica and Alice in Chains were also among a long list of domestic and international stars that performed.
Organizers said they expected 85,000 people to show up for each day of the week-long event, which features 127 bands and artists.
The City of Rock, the festival's mega venue set to be transformed into an Olympic Park for the 2016 Games, was also the setting for Daniele and Alan Costa's wedding.
"I think it was very funny that they chose to wed here, with so many strangers," said 22-year-old Gustavo Barbosa, who stopped by to watch the ceremony.
© 1994-2013 Agence France-Presse