MANILA, Philippines -- Celebrities led by actress Anne Curtis used their social media to call for prayers for the victims of typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha).
Authorities on Wednesday said at least 81 people have died in Mindanao from the onslaught of the typhoon.
"Good morning. May we continue to pray for our kababayans that were tremendously affected by Pablo. Still reading about it's sad to hear that there were lives taken. May we all do our part to help them recover," Curtis appealed via her official Twitter account on Wednesday morning.
Aside from Curtis, stars like Maxene Magalona, Bianca Gonzales, Angel Locsin, Marvin Agustin and Christian Bautista also asked for prayers and warned Filipinos about "Pablo."
"Let's keep on praying for our friends and family from Visayas and Mindanao," Agustin said.
"Let's pray for Visayas and Mindanao who our affected by the storms , but more than that let's start thinking of ways to help," Bautista tweeted.
On Tuesday, Typhoon Pablo brought driving rain and packed gusts of up to 210 kilometers an hour, toppling trees and power lines, causing flashfloods and forcing more than 50,000 to seek refuge in emergency shelters.
The cyclone, which had weakened after making landfall, headed for the Sulu Sea in the late afternoon, changing course westward, state weather bureau PAGASA said.
Typhoon Bopha comes after tropical storm Sendong hit Mindanao in December last year, killing more than 1,200 and leaving hundreds of thousands homeless.