Why Dingdong is part of Star Cinema film 'One More Try'

Posted at 12/11/2012 3:33 PM | Updated as of 12/12/2012 1:25 PM

Actor Dingdong Dantes

MANILA, Philippines - Although he is not part of the Kapamilya network, actor Dingdong Dantes was chosen to be one of the leading men in "One More Try", Star Cinema's entry to this year's Metro Manila Film Festival.

Ruel Bayani, the movie's director, explained the reason behind this in an interview with entertainment reporters last week.

He cited Dantes' acting chops particularly in the horror film "Segunda Mano", a previous MMFF entry where he starred alongside the country's "Queen of All Media" Kris Aquino.

Bayani added that they also wanted their film to have a new mix of actors to give it a "different flavor".

"Remember si Dingdong, gusto namin siya sa Star Cinema kasi fresh pa lang siya sa 'Segunda Mano', nag-breakthrough performance siya doon, nanalo siya doon," the "One More Try" director explained.

"Hindi namin sinasabi na hindi magagawa ng Kapamilya actor ang magagawa niya. Sinasabi lang namin na priority namin na mabigyan ng bagong putahe ang mga audience, kasi ayaw naming sabihin nila na 'wala na bang bago?' So ito, bago. Ang mga tao, ibang kumbinasyon, ibang halo-halo ito. So iba ang magiging lasa niyan."

In "One More Try", Dantes plays the role of Edward, who is married to Jacqueline, portrayed by Angelica Panganiban. The film's two other lead stars include Angel Locsin and Zanjoe Marudo.

"Ang akala ng mga tao mahirap [kunin si Dingdong]. Nag-present kami at nagustuhan nila, napapapayag sila," Bayani said.

"The truth was ang akala ng mga tao mahirap (kunin si Dingdong), nag-present kami at nagustuhan nila, napapayag sila," Bayani told reporters.

"One More Try" will be screened in theaters nationwide starting Christmas Day, December 25.