Gov't denies leaving out MNLF in peace process
MANILA – Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Teresita ‘Ging’ Deles denied that the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) was being left out of the ongoing peace negotiations.
Deles said that just last week, Indonesian Ambassador to the Philippines Yohanes Legowo visited Manila to meet with government as well as two MNLF groups in Davao.
She said a meeting has already been set in Jakarta, which the groups agreed to prior to the standoff in Zamboanga on Monday.
A group of MNLF leader Nur Misuari took hostage several civilians in Zamboanga City after they felt they were being left out of the peace process in favor of its breakaway group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
“That’s really very hard to understand. One of the agreements that was reached during the Solo [in Indonesia] meeting was that there would be a partnership in ARMM governance and accordingly, [ARMM] Governor [Mujiv] Hataman has activated the joint monitoring committee and a memorandum of agreement was signed with the faction of Nur Misuari where he was himself present just late last year,” Deles told ANC’s “Prime Time” on Tuesday.
Apart from the recent visit of the Indonesian Ambassador, government also met with high-level MNLF officials in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and Solo, Indonesia in 2010.
Deles said the recent meeting was held in Bandung last year.
Deles added that both Misuari and Muslimin Sema were given an opportunity to nominate representatives for the transition commission that will draft the Bangsamoro Law, but both “refused” to participate.
She also said peace talks with the MILF will continue despite the violence, saying there will be “greater instability” if the negotiations are suspended.
“There would be greater instability if we stop that process because there are many Bangsamoro who are looking at that process not as an MILF process but a process for the entire Bangsamoro,” she said.