Deles asks: What does Misuari want?
MANILA – Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Teresita 'Ging' Deles denied that the Aquino administration has ignored the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) in the ongoing peace process.
During a Palace briefing Wednesday afternoon, Deles pointed out that these statements are a willful misunderstanding of the reality, as the government has been meeting since 1997 with Nur Misuari's camp as well as various factions of the MNLF on the ongoing tripartite review of the implementation of the 1996 peace accord facilitated by the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC).
She said that by the time the administration came in, a lot had been done to push the talks forward.
"There have been many meetings and up to last week, a memorandum of agreement was signed by [ARMM Governor Mujiv] Hataman and a group of senior MNLF leaders which includes leaders associated with Misuari," Deles said, adding that another meeting was scheduled last week in Yogyakarta.
Deles said Misuari, during the implementation review process, raised several issues about the sharing of revenues from natural resources in the ARMM as well as the establishment of a provisional government of the MNLF, both of which were not even part of the 1996 peace agreement.
She lamented Misuari's behavior with regards to the talks, saying that Misuari would often disagree whenever a significant consensus was reached on the amendments to Republic Act 9054.
"I do not want to openly speculate about what is in his mind... but this pattern on his behavior on the table should be looked at. What would make Misuari happy? It seems that all our work does not seem to make him happy... Therefore what does he want?" she said.
Deles also reiterated that the government has not abrogated the 1996 peace agreement. She said that the government has even proposed to the OIC the completion of the 6-year review process, "considering how much work has been done in the review process and considering the many ways forward that have been identified."
Deles also reiterated that the government sought the representation of the MNLF in the new Framework Agreement with the Bangsamoro.
"The crafting of a new Bangsamoro law is not an exercise only for MILF, it is in fact an exercise that seeks to respond to the aspirations of the Bangsamoro," she said, adding that both MNLF leaders Nur Misuari and Muslimin Sema were asked by the government to nominate representatives in the Bangsamoro Transition Commission but both of them declined.
Meanwhile, in a joint statement, both the GPH and MILF Peace Panels in Kuala Lumpur condemned the attacks in Zamboanga City, and asked that the perpetrators must be stopped and held accountable for their acts.
Both parties also affirmed their commitment "to pursuing the peace process to its just and rightful conclusion, in the belief that it is through partnership that institutions reflective of the true needs and aspirations of the Bangsamoro and other peoples of Mindanao shall be installed."