Pinay maid accused of killing her ward in Saudi

Posted at 01/20/12 7:58 PM

SAUDI ARABIA – A Filipina maid who has been working for the same family in Riyadh for almost two decades now has been accused of killing her 17-year-old ward.

The 17-year-old victim was declared dead on arrival at the hospital on December 31, 2011. The suspect was identified as their Filipina maid, Warda Mandang.

Mandang had been working for the same family since 1993, but she was only able to visit her hometown in Sultan Kudarat only once.

Advocacy group “Patnubay” was able to talk to the suspect’s uncle, who also works as a driver for the family. He said his niece had been looking after her ward since the victim was only in grade school.

But Mandang’s cousin in Riyadh believes that the suspect was not in her right mind.

“Makahingi kami ng tulong sa mahal na presidente na malaman talaga kung anuman talagang naging problema. Pero sa akin talaga ang ano, nasisiraan na talaga ng ulo yun," said “Tumbai”, Mandang’s cousin.

Five months ago, the suspect had told Tumbai that she wanted to come home but was not allowed to by her employer.

The Philippine Embassy in Riyadh has yet to receive the official report from authorities.

“Sa ngayon po ay minamanmanan namin ang kaso niya at we have been in contact with lawyers, Saudi lawyers, who could represent her in her case,” said Consul Roussel Reyes, head of the Assistant to Nationals Section.

The suspect is currently detained at the Al-Nissa Central Jail in Riyadh. -- Report from Roland Blanco, ABS-CBN Middle East News Bureau