AL-KHOBAR, Saudi Arabia (UPDATED) – A fourth year Filipino student died when their house was razed by fire in Dammam last Friday.
Sami Adorable, a graduating high school student of Al-Andalus International School (AAIS) in Al-Khobar, died due to burns and suffocation.
Amina Adorable, mother of the victim, said her husband woke up at 5:30 a.m. and went to the kitchen to boil the water for his coffee and went back to their room.
"After sometime, yung asawa ko bumalik sa kusina para i-check yong pinainit niyang tubig. Narinig ko na lang na sumisigaw na siya ng 'sunog, sunog.' Kaya nag-panic na rin ako," Amina recounted.
She said she roused her two sons and her brother to get out of the house. Unfortunately, when they were all outside the house, she realized that Sami, her eldest son, was left behind.
“Gusto naming balikan, nais ng brother ko na balikan ang anak kong si Sami pero masyado nang malaki ang apoy, kaya wala na kaming nagawa,” Amina added.
Sami Eesa, the father of the victim can’t believe that his son is gone. He said he used to advice his son to study hard if he wants to be successful in life.
“I used to tell Sami, life is what you make it. You want to go up? You have to climb. It’s not the reason the ladder is broken, you have the way to go up.”
The teachers and classmates of Sami at AAIS were also saddened by his untimely death.
“Nalulungkot po ako sa nangyari at nabigla po noong malaman ko po na namatay na siya. Napakasakit po dahil isa po siyang mabait na bata, masayahing bata," said his class adviser, Gemma Obillo.
His classmates considered him as a true friend and a brother because of his good attitude and positive outlook in life.
"Talaga pong na-shock kami kasi wala na yong kaibigan namin. Nakakalungkot din kasi from First Year hanggang ngayon hindi lang namin siya tinuturing kaklase kundi kaibigan at kapatid talaga," said Joshua Plando.
Rihanna Sabdulla, a friend since grade school added, “Nanghihinayang po ako na wala na po siya kasi napakabait niya po. Pag may problema ako lagi po siyang nandyan, patatawanin ka po, sasabihin kaya mo yan."
School principal Dr. Eduardo Malagapo advised students to be careful and learn precautionary measures to avoid accidents whether at home or in school.
"Sa nangyaring ito, I advised my students to be careful and to do the best they can in order to be aware on any kind of thing that will make them safe and sound,” he said.
Meanwhile, teachers, parents and students held a tribute for Adorable last Sunday. In their Facebook page, the school thanked those who have extended their sympathies and condolences to the Adorable family.
"We would especially like to thank all the students from elementary to high school for sacrificing their lunch money so that they could share what little they have for the family of Sami," the school said.