No calls for help yet from Pinoys in Thailand - embassy
MANILA – No Filipinos have so far requested for help in relation to the ongoing political crisis in Thailand, the Philippine Embassy said on Friday.
"Even though emergency decree has been in placed in the last 3 days we have not received any request for assistance from any member of the Filipino community in Thailand, in Bangkok, or in any other part of the country," Consul General Edgar Badajos told ANC.
Badajos, however, said that the calls that they mostly receive are from Filipinos planning to travel to Bangkok.
"Perhaps you may want to postpone your trips if it's not essential," said Badajos.
On Thursday, the Department of Foreign Affairs raised the crisis alert level for Bangkok and surrounding areas from 1 to 2.
The DFA said that Alert Level 2 is issued when there are real threats to the life, security, and property of Filipinos arising from internal disturbance or external threat.
Badajos also advised Filipinos to not be tempted to purchase budget airline tickets for Bangkok at this time.
"Maybe there is a better time to do that. Do not be tempted by these low prices because of course were saying here from where we are that everything is under control, we really could not say what could happen," he said.
But should the situation in the country turn for the worse, Badajos expressed the embassy's readiness to evacuate affected Filipinos.
"Our contingency plan includes every possible situation that could happen and it covers all the possible scenarios including all the possible evacuation of Filipinos if necessary," he said.
He likewise urged Filipinos in Thailand to be extra vigilant and monitor closely the situation in the country as well as prepare for any eventuality.
"Extra vigilance is the key," he said.