OFWs still feel safe in Lebanon despite bombing

Posted at 02/25/2014 11:38 AM | Updated as of 02/25/2014 2:37 PM
Teresa Dorado talks to ABS-CBN Middle East News Bureau correspondent Rhyse Furio while confined at the Watani Hospital.

BEIRUT (UPDATED) - "God is good," household service worker Teresa Dorado said.

Dorado is thanking God that she is whole and has suffered no more than cuts all over her body.

Dorado is a victim of one of twin car bombings that occurred Wednesday, February 19, in Bir Hassan in south Beirut.

At 9:30 a.m., a Mercedes blew up outside the Iranian cultural center, while a BMW detonated near the European exhibition center and the place where Dorado is working. She happened to be in the kitchen when the blast caused the glass door to shatter.

"Dito 'yong mga sugat ko, ayan," she said, pointing to the right side of her neck, right forearm and under her right armpit.

She also showed her swollen left foot. "Mahirap pang iapak masyado."

After being discharged from Zahra Hospital on Friday, she was transferred by her employer to Wataneh Hospital where she could be further cared for by the family's private doctor.

"Her injuries are only superficial injuries," said Dr. Mahmoud Degaili. "We are taking care of her, and everything. We hope [she] will be better. In two, three days, she'll go home, and we'll continue there."

More than 10 suicide car bombings have occurred in Lebanon since July of last year. This year, car bombings have occurred almost weekly in south Beirut.

Despite the growing frequency of these incidents, many OFWs have expressed feeling safe in the country.

"Ang ibang lugar lang naman ang inaabot talaga ng bombing," said OFW Nora Guerrero. "So 'yung ibang nag-aalala sa pamilya nila dito, I assure you hindi naman ganun kagrabe ang sitwasyon ng Lebanon."

Household service worker Tina Badillo agreed. "You can stay [here] as long as you want. May area lang na binobomba, pero hindi lahat, kasi malaki naman ang Lebanon para maramdaman mo 'yong takot. Kung may day-off ka, doon ka pumunta sa safe na lugar para pati pamilya mo sa Pilipinas, hindi mag–aalala."

On its Facebook advisory, the Philippine embassy posted safety tips in case of a bombing incident: go to a safe place and call a friend and inform them about your condition.

The embassy also encourages OFW families in the Philippines not to worry.

"Gusto ko lang po ipaabot sa inyo na sa lahat po ng aming abot na makakaya, ginagawa po namin ang lahat ng mga paraan para masigurado kung meron mang mga insidente na mangyari dito sa Lebanon, kaagad-agad po makakarating ang embassy at makakatulong. 'Wag po kayong mag-alala kasi po talagang 'yon po ang aming binibigyan ng unang pansin," said Ambassador Leah Ruiz.