Funeral service for Fil-Am boy who died from 'milk allergy'

Posted at 04/10/13 2:52 PM

SOUTH BRUNSWICK, New Jersey – Family and friends of 8-year-old Adrian Marcus Gutierrez are planning his funeral after his surprising death reportedly due to milk allergies.

Gutierrez, together with his two siblings and their mother Maria Eliza Pantaleon were driving from a Princeton, NJ Church to their Old Bridge, NJ home over the weekend, when Adrian complained about having trouble breathing.

After calling 911 and pulling to the side of the road, South Brunswick police arrived and performed CPR on the young boy.

Adrian then went into a cardiac arrest and was taken to the University Medical Center in Princeton, New Jersey where he was later pronounced dead.

The cause of death is still under examination by the Mercer County Medical Examiner, but Pantaleon told police that they had stopped by a Starbucks on their way home from church.

She said Gutierrez was allergic to milk and peanuts and may have accidentally sipped his brother Aedan’s hot chocolate with milk instead of his own hot chocolate with soy milk.

According to the Mayo Clinic, milk allergy is one of the most common food allergies in children.

Medical experts warn that it must be taken seriously.

The FDA says most food allergies cause relatively minor symptoms, but some can cause severe fatal reactions.

A Facebook page remembering Adrian Marcus was created by loved ones.

A funeral service will be held on Friday at the Holy Redeemer Church followed by interment at the Holy Cross Mausoleum in East Brunswick.