Pinoy killed in oncoming traffic in California

Posted at 07/15/14 9:41 AM

REDWOOD CITY, California – About a hundred people marched in San Bruno, California last Friday to remember the life of a Filipino man who was fatally struck by oncoming traffic one week ago.

Bernabe Lactawen would walk up and down El Camino Real and politely wave at everyone he came across.

The 57-year-old, who suffered from mental disability, was well-loved by the community. He actively supported local sports teams and even earned the nickname “Champ” or “Batman”.

“Bernabe gave us joy and a smile in the day program,” said Steven Victoriano, one of Bernabe’s friends. “He always greets us. He always said ‘hi’ and ‘hello’ to everyone,”

With the support of the San Bruno Fire Station and Police, over a hundred people gathered at the intersection where he was struck.

Bernabe died at the hospital.

Police said that he was crossing on a red light when he was hit.

No arrests have been made so far. According to police, drugs and alcohol were not factors in the crash. The crash is still under investigation.

"Just the amount of love and support we’ve been getting from the community, there’s no room in our hearts for pain right now,” said Karissa Ishere, Bernabe’s niece.

Read more from Balitang America