Fil-Ams raise funds for PH flood victims
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – For hundreds of kababayans who came out for the event "Band Aid to Pilipinas" at Fort McKinley restaurant last Sunday, the night’s fun and music served a deeper purpose.
They came there to raise more than $3,000 for the flood victims in the Philippines.
Miriam Pantig and Divo Bayer were among the 30 artists who performed.
"As a singer, this is my way of giving back with all the blessings I’ve been receiving," Bayer said.
"You need to share whatever God-given talent you have and hope that you can raise enough money to help them," Pantig said.
Kababayans in the Philippines have barely recovered from a series of deadly floods and monsoon rains, which killed close to 100 people and displaced more than 400,000.
And now, another storm has come. According to the Philippine disaster relief agency, Tropical Storm Tembin has already killed at least two people, and it is still expected to intensify into a typhoon.
The U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines Harry Thomas said America will give $100,000 for the disaster relief efforts in Manila.
Barry Picazo, restaurateur and partner at Fort McKinley said the international community should be more involved.
So far, people oversees have donated about $300,000 for flood victims in the Philippines through ABS-CBN Foundation’s Sagip Kapamilya program.
About 370,000 people have been helped through their emergency relief efforts.
Sagip Kapamilya has also built schools and livelihood projects for the flood victims.
Gina Lopez, managing director of ABS-CBN Foundation said, “There is a relief phase. But then they need to get their lives together. As long as there are funds, we’re there for the long haul.”
They may be on their side of the world. But these people are one with their kababayans affected by the floods, letting them know help is on the way.
For more Balitang America stories, click here