Slavery case vs Saudi Princess dropped
SANTA ANA, California - Saudi Princess Meshael Alayban, who was accused of slavery, appeared in an Orange County courthouse Friday morning, and it will most likely be the last time she will be called in on this matter.
Prosecutors dismissed the slavery case of Alayban, saying that their investigation did not find evidence of human trafficking.
She had been accused of enslaving a domestic worker from Kenya, taking her passport and forcing the woman to work around the clock.
The Saudi Princess also had four Philippine nationals as nannies on her staff. Prosecutors said they were able to investigate the case including the employment situation of the Filipino workers and had decided to drop the charges.
"The evidence did indicate that on occasion they came and left and were not restricted by this family that they were working for," explained Orange County district attorney Tony Rauckackus after the case was dismissed.
The Philippine Consulate, who wants to check on the welfare of the Filipino workers has yet to make contact with them, have been assured by authorities that the women are well taken care of. Alayban’s lawyers said they have not been in contact with them either.
"They have been in the investigation process since that time so we don’t have any further information regarding the other workers. We just know that in this case this was never a case of human trafficking,” added Alayban’s attorney Paul Meyer.
With the case now closed, Alayban’s passport was returned to her in court, her $5 million bail, which the Saudi embassy helped pay for has been returned, and the judge ordered that her travel restrictions, including GPS monitoring, to be immediately lifted.