Fil-Am youths urged to join mass for Calungsod
NEW YORK - Filipino American youths are invited to participate in a thanksgiving mass for the canonization of San Pedro Calungsod on November 4 at the Saint Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan.
The Chapel of San Lorenzo Ruiz, the first and only Catholic Church dedicated to Filipinos in the United States, extended the invitation to Fil-Am youths as well as organizations in the tri-state area. The special Mass will held at 2 p.m.
“This special Mass will celebrate the life and sainthood of 17-year-old catechist and martyr Pedro Calungsod, who was a role model for young Filipinos,” said Jessica Abejar, youth coordinator for the thanksgiving Mass.
Youth groups and various organizations may engage in the following activities during and after the Mass:
• Participate in the opening procession: Participants may carry banners or wear t-shirts that represent their respective organizations.
• Join the choir: Participants may sing or play instruments in the choir; the group will rehearse on the morning of the Mass at the Philippine Consulate.
• Offer toys and canned goods: Participants are asked to donate unused toys and canned goods, which will be offered by the participants’ younger siblings or family members; the donated items will be distributed to charity projects in New York and in the Philippines.
• Nominate youths for the San Pedro Calungsod Leadership Awards: Organizations are encouraged to nominate deserving youngsters who have made a significant impact in their respective communities. The awardees will be presented during the Mass, and will be appointed as ambassadors for the Chapel of San Lorenzo Ruiz in Downtown Manhattan.
• Attend the post-mass get-together: Participants, who may introduce themselves via special presentations or cultural performances, are invited to attend an after Mass get-together at the Philippine Consulate’s Kalayaan Hall.