OFWs in Lebanon air mixed views after blast

Posted at 10/25/12 4:52 PM

BEIRUT, Lebanon (UPDATED) - While Lebanon mourned the death of Internal Security Forces chief Wissam al–Hassan who was buried on Sunday, violent protests erupted in the country, especially between Sunni and Shia Muslims.
Hassan, a Sunni Muslim, was killed Friday last week, along with seven others, in a car bomb explosion. Authorities suspect Syria to be behind the car bombing that took place in Sassine Square, Ashrafieh.
The car blast drew varied reactions from OFWs in Lebanon. Some are confident that the situation will be back to normal again, while others fear that tensions will intensify between Lebanon's opposition and religious groups.
Some Filipinos who have lived long in Lebanon are not so concerned about the aftermath of the bombing, as long as their jobs are not affected.
"There's nothing to worry about," said Susana Velilla, a housemaid in Ashrafieh. "As far as I've heard, no Filipina got wounded in the bombing."
But the situation is different for those in Tripoli, who are closer to the violence.
"The situation here in Tripoli? You go out to buy something quickly, then you have to be back at the house right away," said Tripoli resident Menchu Mansour.
"Of course, we're scared to go out," added Jenny Marana, a cook at OBI, a Japanese restaurant in ABC Mall, just a few blocks down from Sassine Square. "How are we going to work? How are we going home?"
Filipinos in Lebanon are hoping that the violence will not escalate, especially with the lifting of the Philippine government's deployment ban.