China offers condolences over Filipina's death
BEIJING - China publicly offered condolences Wednesday on the death of a female tourist from the Philippines earlier this week in what is believed to be a politically motivated car attack in central Beijing.
"We are distressed by this unfortunate incident and will express our condolences to the victims and sympathies to their families," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a press conference when asked to give comments on her death.
The car crash Monday in front of the Forbidden City across from Tiananmen Square killed the woman, a man from China's southern province of Guangdong and the driver and two passengers in the vehicle.
The trio's sport-utility vehicle, which plowed into a crowd of pedestrians and burst into flames at the iconic site, also injured 38 other people, including her husband and two daughters, as well as a Japanese man.
Although Hua conveyed condolences and sympathies to them, she remained tight-lipped on details about the incident.
"Relevant departments are investigating this incident," Hua said. "Maybe we should have some patience and wait for the results of the investigations."
Chinese public security authorities suspect eight people from the country's restive far western Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region are behind the deadly crash, local sources familiar with the situation have told Kyodo News.