Pinoy on death row gets 1-month reprieve

Posted at 11/13/12 9:21 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The deadline for the payment of blood money by the family of a Filipino on death row in Saudi Arabia has been extended for 1 month, a Philippine official said Tuesday.

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesperson Raul Hernandez said the family of the Sudanese victim accepted the request of Joselito Zapanta's family.

Sudanese embassy officials in Riyadh, as well as representatives of the Saudi king, have interceded on Zapanta's behalf.

With the extension, Zapanta's family has until December 14 to raise the blood money worth P55 million, the DFA said.

They have raised SR 400,000 (P4.39 million) so far.

Zapanta's mother and sister left Manila on Tuesday to visit him, with the permission of Saudi authorities.

They were accompanied by personnel from the Department of Foreign Affairs Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant and Workers Affairs.

Vice-President Jejomar Binay has asked for prayers for Zapanta.

"Ipagdasal po natin ang ating kababayan na si Joselito Zapanta. Sana naman po sa tulong ng ating mga panalangin ay madugtungan ang kanyang buhay," Binay said in a statement.