S. Korea launches third bid to join global space club

Posted at 01/30/13 3:21 PM

SEOUL - South Korea launched a rocket Wednesday in its third bid to put a satellite in orbit -- a high-stakes challenge to national pride after rival North Korea succeeded in the same mission last month.

A positive outcome after successive failures in 2009 and 2010 is critical to ensuring the future of South Korea's launch program and realizing its ambition of full membership of the elite global space club.

The 140-ton Korea Space Launch Vehicle (KSLV-I) blasted off at 4:00 pm (0700 GMT) from the Naro Space Center on the south coast.

The Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1) or Naro, South Korea's space rocket, is seen on the launch pad at Naro Space Centre in Goheung, about 485 km (301 miles) south of Seoul January 28, 2013 in this picture provided by Korea Aerospace Research Institute. REUTERS/Korea Aerospace Research Institute/Handout

Space centre officials said it would take nine minutes for the rocket, with a first stage manufactured by Russia and a second stage built by South Korea, to reach its target altitude and deploy the payload satellite.

Success would mean a huge boost for South Korea -- a late entrant into the high-cost world of space technology and exploration and desperate to get its commercial launch program up and running.

Despite a very successful satellite construction program, it faces a long slog to catch up with the other Asian powers with proven launch capability -- China, Japan and India.

Initially scheduled for October 26, Wednesday's launch had been twice postponed for technical reasons.

The delay meant that rival North Korea beat the South by launching a satellite into orbit on December 12.

The North's launch was condemned by the international community as a disguised ballistic missile test, resulting in UN sanctions that in turn triggered a threat by Pyongyang to carry out a nuclear test.

Wednesday's mission was the last under the South's current agreement with Russia, which agreed to provide the first stage for a maximum of three rockets.

"The pressure is on the South Koreans like never before," independent space analyst Morris Jones said before the launch.

"There are several converging factors -- the two previous failures, North Korea's success and the fact that this is the last chance with this particular rocket model," Jones said.

Seoul's space ambitions were restricted for many years by its main military ally the United States, which feared that a robust missile or rocket program would accelerate a regional arms race, especially with North Korea.

After joining the Missile Technology Control Regime in 2001, South Korea made Russia its go-to space partner, but the relationship has not been an easy one.

In 2009, the rocket achieved orbit but faulty release mechanisms on the second stage prevented proper deployment of the satellite.

The second effort in 2010 saw the rocket explode two minutes into its flight, with both Russia and South Korea pointing the finger of blame at each other.

"Another failure would prompt a lot of mud-slinging," said Jones.

Whatever the final outcome of Wednesday's launch, South Korea insists it is committed to developing a totally indigenous three-stage, liquid-fuelled rocket capable of carrying a 1.5-tonne payload into orbit by 2021.

The KSLV-I is carrying a small, 100 kilogram (220-pound) Science and Technology Satellite-2C (STSAT-2C) developed by the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.

The satellite, which has a one-year operational lifespan, will mainly collect data on space radiation.