12 love songs in 'Himig Handog' tilt named
MANILA -- Twelve original compositions will be interpreted by some of the most popular OPM artists in this year's "Himig Handog" songwriting competition.
The music arm of ABS-CBN, Star Recording, Inc. recently announced the twelve finalists in the fifth edition of the country's premiere songwriting contest, dubbed "Himig Handog: P-Pop Love Songs."
The competing entries, which span different genres, will be rendered by local recording artists and will be locally released for a chance to be named this year's Himig Handog Grand Winner.
Here are the 12 P-Pop Love Song entries that will be performed at the SM Mall of Asia Arena on February 24:
- "Alaala" by Ma. Fe Mechenette, G. Tianga, Melvin Muervana and Joel Jabat Jr., to be performed by Yeng Constantino;
- "Anong Nangyari Sa Ating Dalawa" by Joven Tan, to be performed by Aiza Seguerra;
- "If You Ever Change Your Mind" by Marian Aunor, to be performed by herself;
- "Tamang Panahon" by Win Andrada, to be performed by himself;
- "Hanggang Wakas" by Soc Villanueva, to be performed by Juris Fernandez;
- "Kahit Na" by Julius James de Belen, to be performed by Toni Gonzaga;
- "Nasa Iyo Na Ang Lahat" by Jungee Marcelo, to be performed by Daniel Padilla;
- "One Day" by Agatha Morallos, to be performed by Angeline Quinto;
- "Pwede Bang Ako Na Lang Ulit" by Jeffrey Cifra, to be performed by Bugoy Drilon;
- "Sana'y Magbalik" by Arman Alferez, to be performed by Jovit Baldivino;
- "Scared to Death" by Domingo Cubelo, to be performed by KZ Tandingan;
- "This Song's For You" by Jude Gitamondoc, to be performed by Erik Santos;
Released on Tuesday via mymusicstore.com.ph, the digital album featuring the twelve love songs will be available for downloading on iTunes and Amazon on January 11.
The album CD can be purchased in local record bars starting January 17.
"Himig Handog" is the Philippines' first interactive multimedia songwriting tilt launched by ABS-CBN in 2000, originally to pay tribute to the overseas Filipino workers.
Now on its 5th year, the songwriting competition paves the way for amateur and professional Filipino songwriters to showcase their talent creating music in any popular music genre or a fusion of known genres.
"We are very excited on how these songs will be interpreted," Star Records Head Roxy Liquigan said of the new batch of "Himig Handog" love songs.
"The songs are carefully scrutinized according to the lyrics, melody and structure. I am certain that this will be a tough job for the judges and we will be most happy whichever will be selected as the grand winner," he said.