15-year-old girl is new national Sudoku champ
|Winners of the 6th PSSC National Finals pose for a photo with representatives of SM Supermalls, Philippine Information Agency, MTG and the UP system. Photo courtesy of MTG|
MANILA, Philippines -- A 15-year-old girl is the country's newest Sudoku champion after winning in the 6th Philippine Sudoku Super Challenge (PSSC) National Finals held Saturday at the SM City North EDSA mall in Quezon City.
Ma. Czarina Angela Lao, a second year student of St. Jude Catholic School in Manila, bested 37 contestants in the grandmaster category of the PSSC. She received P60,000 and a trophy.
Dr. Simon Chua, chief organizer of the event and president of the Mathematics Trainers' Guild - Philippines, said Alvin Ian Chan of the Ateneo de Manila University won first runner-up and received P40,000.
Kaye Janelle Yao of Grace Christian College placed second runner-up, followed by Jemina Sawey of St. Louis University Baguio (third runner-up) and Ralph Sarrosa of the University of the Philippines Visayas in Iloilo (fourth runner-up).
Meanwhile, here are the other winners in the 6th PSSC National Finals:
Sudoku Wizard division
- Champion: Dielle Tio of St. Stephen's High School
- First runner-up: Melvin Baldrias of Da Canlao Agoncillo National High School in Batangas
- Second runner-up: Ethan Riley Chan of Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Third runner-up: Chesko Grezula of Olongapo National High School
- Fourth runner-up: Cheyenne Hsieh of Grace Christian College
Sudoku Whiz Kid division
- Champion: Natalia Beatrice Dy of St. John's Institute of Bacolod City
- First runner-up: Candice Renee Beatrice Solidarios of Integrated Montessory Center in Laguna
- Second runner-up: Gerald Dalan of Olongapo Wesley School
- Third runner-up: Clyde Wesley Ang of Chiang Kai Shek College
- Fourth runner-up: Guineveve Soria of Precious International School of Davao