4 PH universities in top 50 of World Debate Rankings
MANILA, Philippines - Four of the country's top universities are in the top 50 debating societies in the world, according to the World University Debate Rankings, which was drawn from the results of 33 tournaments across the globe.
The Ateneo de Manila University ranked seventh in the list with 3,070 points scored by 31 teams.
University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City came a distant second at 23rd place with 2,171 points scored by 22 teams, followed by its Manila campus at the 40th spot with 1,511 points scored by 15 teams.
De La Salle University in Manila, meanwhile, ranked 42nd with 1,485 points from 23 teams.
Twenty other local universities made it to the list of the top 500 debating societies in the world, which may be viewed in the website of the International Debate Education Association (IDEA).
Topping the list of debating societies in the world is Sydney Union with a total of 4,589 points scored by 51 teams, followed by Monash with 4,067 points from 58 teams. Both are from Australia.
"The totals are calculated by adding the results of all the teams that society fielded in the tournaments we track over the course of the year, right up to the largest event -- the World Universities Debating Championships. The rankings are maintained by Colm Flynn, an emeritus member and former chair of the World Debating Council and a former Deputy Chief Adjudicator for Worlds," IDEA said on its website.
Below are the top 10 debating societies in the world, according to IDEA:
- Sydney Union, Australia (4,589 points from 51 teams)
- Monash, Australia (4,057 points from 58 teams)
- Yale, United States (3,775 points from 29 teams)
- McGill, Canada (3,441 points from 54 teams)
- Cornell, United States (3,418 points from 36 teams)
- Oxford Union, England (3,387 points from 30 teams)
- Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines (3,070 points from 31 teams)
- Cambridge, England (2,874 points from 34 teams)
- Bates College, United States (2,865 points from 22 teams)
- Colgate, United States (2,795 points from 28 teams)