Manila run of 'Phantom of the Opera' extended anew

Posted at 09/18/12 3:38 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The Manila run of the popular Andrew Lloyd Webber musical “Phantom of the Opera” has been extended for the second time due to “an overwhelming response from the Philippine audience.”

James Cundall, chief executive officer of Lunchbox Theatrical Productions, said they have added 16 more shows until October 14.

Lunchbox is the producer of “The Phantom of the Opera” in Manila.

“The unbelievable acceptance of the Philippine audience to the show encouraged us to extend the season, adding 16 more shows,” Cundall said in a statement.

“The Phantom of the Opera” was originally scheduled to run at the Cultural Center of the Philippines Main Theater from August 25 to September 16. Last July, it was announced that the show will run until September 30.

Meanwhile, organizers said the Guinness Book of World Records has declared “The Phantom of the Opera” as the longest-running Broadway show in history.

The musical, which tells the story of a disfigured musical genius, celebrated its 25th year on the West End stage last year.

Read our review of "The Phantom of the Opera" here.