Palace examines holiday gun ban

Posted at 01/04/13 3:54 PM

MANILA, Philippines - President Aquino has yet to discuss a proposal to impose a gun ban during the holiday season to prevent stray bullets, Deputy Presidential Spokeswoman Abigail Valte said Friday.

Asked about concerns that the President would not support a gun ban given the fact that he is a gun enthusiast, Valte said "that is an unwarranted assumption."
"The President is a smoker, however, he pushed very hard for the sin tax. That is the basis that I am able to say that that is an unwarranted assumption," she said.

Calls for stricter gun laws have mounted following the death of 7-year-old Stephanie Nicole Ella due to a stray bullet. Ella was watching a fireworks display outside their home in Caloocan on New Year's Eve when she was felled by the stray bullet.

Four people, including an ex-military man, surrendered to police Thursday for firing guns on New Year's Eve. They were cleared after police said their guns did not match the slug that killed Ella.

Police, however, said the 4 will still face charges for firing their guns indiscriminately.

Meanwhile, the Palace echoed the call of the police for witnesses and neighbors to come forward and give information on the one that fired the gunshot that killed Stephanie Nicole Ella.
"They're also asking for the cooperation of the witnesses or the neighbors. Kasi katulad nga ho ng sinabi ng isang nagkomentaryo, hindi naman po pwedeng sikreto ang pagbaril. Meron at merong magiging witness dyan. So far the PNP is moving as they should," Valte said.