PM Coalition protests disqualification at SC
MANILA, Philippines - A day before the Supreme Court (SC) resumes its en banc sessions on Tuesday, newly-formed party-list group Partido ng Manggagawa Coalition (PM COALITION) held a rally along Padre Faura on Monday morning to urge the high court to decide in favor of its petition against its disqualification in the 2013 polls.
The group assailed its disqualification and labeled the Commission on Elections' (Comelec) ruling as "erroneous."
It said the coalition is "truly representative of the labor sector."
"The Comelec had made a mess of the so-called cleansing of the party-list system by still accrediting numerous bogus party-lists," PM Coalition president Bong Palad said in a statement.
Before the Christmas break, the group filed a petition that sought a reversal of its disqualification "based on a mere technicality and the poll body's misinterpretation of the law."
The petition sought the immediate issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) to prevent the poll body from implementing its ruling so that the coalition can still be retained in the official ballots.
"The Comelec's half-serious purging of the party-list system has disqualified many groups but at the same time allowed many spurious groups and parties with no substantial qualifications to remain in the race," Palad said.
Unlike other party-list groups that were able to secure a status quo ante order (SQAO) from the high court, no such immediate relief was obtained by PM Coalition, so far.