Photo of alleged dead Pinoys irks sultanate
|Malaysia's Defense Minister Zahid Hamidi shows a picture on Wednesday of the alleged remains of members of an armed Filipino group after the Malaysian military assault in Sabah. The picture is unverified and has been desaturated due to its graphic nature. Photo: Reuters|
MANILA - The spokesperson of the sultanate of Sulu criticized the Malaysian security forces for allegedly unearthing the remains of some of the royal army soldiers killed in the series of gunfights that began Friday last week.
"Kahit patay wala silang respeto. Maliwanag kung ano ang sinabi ng panginoong Allah na ang taong nailibing na ay hindi na pwedeng hukayin," Abraham Idjirani said in a radio dzMM interview.
"Sila ba'y mga Muslim? Sila ba'y mga terorista, sapagkat ang mga patay ay kanilang hinuhukay? Iyang ginagawa ng ating kapatid na Malaysian police commando ay paglabag sa banal na kasulatan, sapagkat kapag ang tao ay namatay na, maliban lang ho kung may consent ng pamilya, iyun lang ho ang paraan para mahukay ulit."
Malaysian Defense Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi on Wednesday showed reporters two photos of the bodies of 13 men allegedly recovered after an air strike in Sabah last Tuesday. The corpses were dressed in dark blue and were lying facedown in the dirt.
Ahmad Zahid told reporters the bodies were found in graves in Tanduo village during mopping up operations after the siege against the group of Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram. He said it was still unclear how the men, believed to be followers of Kiram, died.
At least 40 people, including 8 Malaysian policemen, have been killed in the ongoing crisis in Sabah.
Zahid said no Malaysian security personnel was injured in the aerial bombardment and ground assault launched by Malaysian soldiers and police Tuesday.
Malaysia's police chief said followers of a self-styled Muslim sultan had scattered after the air and ground attack Tuesday on their stronghold in eastern Sabah state, aimed at ending the country's worst security crisis in years.