Palace: DOJ to oppose Napoles' check-up at St. Luke's

Posted at 03/07/2014 5:20 PM

MANILA -- Malacañang said the Department of Justice (DOJ) will oppose Janet Lim Napoles' bid to be hospitalized at St. Luke's Medical Center.

"From what I understand, the DOJ has plans to either to oppose or they have a say on this because that will be heard also. Let's wait for the DOJ to present government's side when the motion to move her into a hospital is being heard by the Makati RTC [Regional Trial Court]," deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said.

Valte pointed out that Napoles was allowed to choose her own doctors when she had a check-up at the Philippine National Police (PNP) General Hospital recently.

"I understand that during the check-up... The first check-up that was granted by the court, her doctors were allowed to be present. So, she had medical professionals of her own choosing present at the PNP General Hospital, from what I understand," she said.

She believes the DOJ, meanwhile, is open to transferring the alleged pork barrel scam mastermind from Fort Sto. Domingo in Laguna to a regular jail.

"The DOJ...pinag-aaralan na po nila yan kung ano ho yung mga permutations kapag sakaling nailipat po siya sa regular city jail as a detainee. So, at least ho ngayon pinag-aaralan ng DOJ. Bukas na po sila doon sa posibilidad at gumagawa na sila... Kumbaga, tinitingnan na nila in the foreseeable future kung sakaling mai-order nga ho ng korte na ganun yung pangyayari."

On Luy vs Cunanan

Meanwhile, Malacañang is not bothered that some discrepancies between the testimonies of Benhur Luy and Dennis Cunanan might hurt the chances of having a successful prosecution of the pork barrel scam.

During the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearing on Thursday, Luy refuted Cunanan's claim that he did not benefit from the scam.

"Hindi lang doon sa testimonya tayo umaasa, pati doon sa documentary evidence. Kasi makikita mo naman yan na in-endorse, sumulat sa ganitong ahensiya, etc. The document trail has been properly laid out," Valte said.

She explained that ultimately, the appreciation of the testimonies is up to the Office of the Ombudsman and the trial court.

"You know, it's possible in any case that witness 'A' will be testifying on another aspect of the case while witness 'B' will be testifying on another completely different aspect of the same case. But that being said, ang magiging final arbiter po niyan nung testimonya nung dalawa ay yung korteng didinig doon sa kaso kung sakaling i-file na po siya ng Office of the Ombudsman," she said.

She, however, said that the discrepancy between the claims over Cunanan benefitting from the pork barrel scam may have an impact on Cunanan's chances of being a state witness.

"Well, perhaps, yung impact naman doon sa pagiging state witness, again, when you say state witness, it is the court that finally accepts someone to be discharged as respondent and to become -- to attain the status of a state witness."

The Palace also left to the DOJ Cunanan's status in so far as the Witness Protection Program (WPP) is concerned.

"Kasi hindi naman po yan minumonstra ng DOJ in the way na kailangan mag-agree kayong dalawa. Of course, it's important to us that they tell their own story and their own side of the case," Valte said.