Napoles doctors recommend longer stay at OsMak

Posted at 05/21/14 7:14 PM

Napoles camp files urgent motion for extended hospital stay

MANILA (UPDATED) - The doctors of alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles have recommended her continued confinement at the Ospital ng Makati (OsMak) due to complications from her operation last April 23.

The Makati Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 150 yesterday ordered that Napoles be returned to her detention cell in Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna, where she is detained for a serious illegal detention case filed by pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy.

During a press briefing on Wednesday, Napoles' doctors said they are hoping that the court will allow Napoles to have her stay at the hospital extended, noting that she needs to be on complete bed rest.

"Ideally sana huwag mangyari ang pag-transfer kasi nga kami ay nagrerekomenda na i-stay siya sa ospital at huwag na munang paalisin. Ito'y pag-unawa sa sitwasyon ng isang tao na merong kritikal na kondisyon, na nabinat sa isang major operation," said Dr. Efren Domingo, Napoles' chief physician.

He said Napoles, who underwent surgery to remove a cyst in her uterus almost a month ago, is suffering from heavy vaginal bleeding, which is a rare and difficult case.

"But rare as it is, nangyayari talaga," he said, adding that there are "inherent, existing conditions on the patient that are unique just to her."

"Very risky kung itatakbo mo ang isang nagdudugo sa labas (ng ospital)," Domingo said.

According to obstetrician-gynecologist Dr. Elsie Badillo-Pascua, Napoles started experiencing vaginal spotting last Saturday, May 17.

On May 19, Napoles started experiencing heavy vaginal bleeding. "Ang kanyang underwear hanggang sa kanyang pajama ay na-soak ng dugo," Pascua explained.

The doctors said Napoles has been given tranexamic acid and intravenous antibiotics to stop the bleeding.


Domingo said the condition of Napoles has been aggravated by her severe diabetes and hypertension as well as the "severe emotional and mental crisis" she is going through.

Napoles has been busy drafting her affidavits in connection with the multibillion-peso pork barrel scam.

Domingo said they have requested Napoles to be on complete bed rest until the bleeding stops, and also free herself from stress.

"Nakikiusap kami na kung pwede ay maging mahinahon, maging mapagpahinga, at maniwalang gagaling at magiging maayos ang takbo ng sitwasyon. So far nauunawaan niya kami at susunod siya sa aming mga payo," he said.

"Bawal na bawal din ang pagbubuhat," Pascua added.

Napoles' doctors said if heavy vaginal bleeding persists, she might be brought to the operating room so her vaginal vault and can be checked.

"Kung lalakas ang dugo, baka dalhin siya sa operating room...at silipin namin ang kanyang vaginal vault and vaginal dome...upang makita namin kung may blood vessel na sumisirit ng dugo at kung meron man isasara upang tumigil na ang pagdurugo," Domingo said.

The doctors said they will check on Napoles' condition day by day to know if an operation may be necessary.

They also stressed that Napoles must undergo weekly follow-up check-ups to prevent any more complication.

They, however, refused to speculate as to how many more days Napoles will have to stay in the hospital and how soon she will recover.

"We'll cross the bridge when we get there. Huwag muna. Ang gusto natin ngayon, ma-control muna ang kanyang bleeding," Pascua said.


Meanwhile, both the lawyers and doctors of Napoles denied that the bleeding was just made up to let her stay longer in the hospital.

Just last Thursday, May 15, Napoles' doctors testified before the court that she was given go-signal to be discharged from the hospital.

Makati RTC Branch 150 Judge Elmo Alameda cited the doctors' testimonies in his decision yesterday to deny the motion of Napoles for an extended stay at OsMak.

According to Dr. Florentina Villanueva, head of the obstetrics and gynecological department of the OsMak, Napoles' recovery has really been "so good."

She said it was just unfortunate that Napoles suddenly suffered complications just days before the court issued its decision on her motion, raising suspicions about its timing.

But she maintained that Napoles' bleeding was not fabricated.

"I will not be here kung sasabihin lang nila Dr. Domingo and Dr. Pascua na may pagdudugo. I don't think we will allow information to come out kung hindi talaga totoo," Villanueva said.

Napoles' lawyers have filed another urgent motion to have her stay at the OsMak extended.

"Mahirap naman pong gumawa ng dugo at ilabas mo sa katawan mo. Mahirap po yun," Atty. Bruce Rivera told radio dzMM.

"Ilang araw na po siyang hindi masyadong nakakatulog dahil po tinatapos namin yung affidavits kasi kailangan na po naming umalis ng Ospital ng Makati kaya kailangan na naming matapos. Kaya po siguro nagkaroon ng stress kaya nagkaroon ng bleeding," Rivera said.

He said they are three-fourths done with the affidavits.

But due to the recent circumstances, Rivera said they have asked Justice Secretary Leila de Lima to extend the deadline for the submission of the affidavits.

Napoles was supposed to be returned to her detention cell in Fort Sto. Domingo by Friday, May 23.

But on that day, at 1:30 p.m., the court will instead hear Napoles' new motion for an extended hospital stay.