MANILA - She has received death threats, while certain lawmakers have appealed to be excluded from the so-called “Napolist.” But Janet Lim-Napoles is prepared to submit today her final affidavit and list of officials involved in the pork barrel scam to the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Senate.
The affidavit and list will reveal the entire truth about the scam, Napoles’ lawyer Bruce Rivera assured the public.
Rivera said they would be able to comply with today’s deadline to submit the final affidavit and list to the DOJ and Senate Blue Ribbon committee.
“We are just finalizing it,” Rivera said yesterday. “We are certain we will be able to finish everything.”
Last Friday, the DOJ asked the Senate committee for another extension to submit Napoles’ affidavit as required in its earlier subpoena.
Rivera confirmed that the detained businesswoman, who has offered herself as a state witness in the plunder cases against lawmakers and other officials, has received death threats while preparing her final affidavit.
The threats were made through several means including text messages, Rivera said, adding they believe the threats came from “those who want to stop her from telling the truth.”
Rivera said they had suspects but refused to elaborate since they were focused on completing the final affidavit and list of personalities involved.
He also revealed that their camp has received direct appeals and feelers from several lawmakers asking Napoles to exclude them from her affidavit and list.
Rivera begged off from identifying the lawmakers, saying these side issues are not really their priority.
“There are these threats and appeals but Mrs. Napoles remains unfazed by her resolve to tell the truth,” Rivera told The STAR yesterday.
Rivera explained Napoles’ bleeding after last month’s operation on her ovarian tumor had persisted, rendering her unable to work on the affidavit last week.
It was the second time the DOJ sought extension on compliance with the Senate subpoena. The other week, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima submitted to Senate Blue Ribbon committee chair Sen. Teofisto Guingona III the initial list from Napoles but begged for more time to submit a more comprehensive affidavit.
After her affidavit on the P10-billion pork barrel scam, Rivera said Napoles would then work on her account of the Malampaya Fund anomaly.
“There’s a bigger amount involved in the Malampaya as compared to pork barrel, but there are much fewer people involved,” he said.
Napoles earlier tagged socialite Ruby Tuason as the real brains behind the Malampaya anomaly.
Tuason was also an accused in the pork barrel scam but was granted immunity by the office of the Ombudsman after returning P40 million in commissions and spilling the beans on some lawmakers.
Meanwhile, Rivera bared his plans to take legal action against another broadsheet for using a private photo of Napoles and his mother in its report.
“It was a private picture posted on my Facebook account intended for my friends and not the public. My mother is a private person who is living in the United States. My mother visited because she wanted to talk to Ma’am Janet about her concern for my safety. As a mother, she was worried,” he lamented.