Midas: I will not resign
MANILA, Philippines - Former Supreme Court spokesman Jose Midas Marquez on Monday said he will not resign his post as Court Administrator despite the ouster of Chief Justice Renato Corona.
"Wala naman akong nakikita na rason para magbitiw," he said in an exclusive interview with ABS-CBN News.
ABS-CBN caught up with Marquez as he was clearing his desk at the Supreme Court.
Marquez served as spokesman of the High Court since the term of Chief Justice Reynato Puno. Last week, his stint as SC spokesman ended after Corona was convicted and removed from office by the Senate impeachment court.
Marquez refused to resign as Court Administrator despite resignations calls from some sectors who feel he became a personal spokesman of the chief justice rather than of the high court.
Marquez noted that his position as Court Administrator is not co-terminus with that of the chief justice. He added that he was appointed Court Administrator by the SC en banc even before Corona was appointed chief magistrate.
"Ang nagtatalaga diyan court en banc at yan ay may security of tenure. Until you reach the age of 65," he told ABS-CBN News.
As Court Administrator, Marquez is tasked with the supervision and administration of the lower courts and their personnel. He also reports and recommends to the Supreme Court all actions that affect lower court management, personal and financial administration and administrative discipline.
Marquez admitted that he felt disheartened by the Senate impeachment court’s verdict convicting Corona for failure to disclose his statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN), but said he respects the Senate verdict.
"Nakakalungkot yun dahil napalapit ka na dun sa tao. Tayo lahat naman may damdamin. Ang pinaglalaban natin [ay] judicial independence," he said.
He also said he knew about the growing enmity between Corona and now acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio even before the impeachment process started.
He said that while he remained close to Corona, he did not meddle in the latter’s row with Carpio.
Marquez said he is ready to work with the acting chief justice, but added that he will not cling to the position if his work will be affected.
"I have always been very professional with my work. Kung halimbawang hindi magiging maganda yung siguro yung relationship at maaapektuhan yung serbisyo, then that may be a time to think things over," he said.
For now, the former SC spokesman said he is concentrating full time in cleansing the courts.