Palace: Ombudsman decision pushes forward 'pork cases'

Posted at 06/05/14 6:19 PM

MANILA - Malacanang on Thursday said the Ombudsman's decision rejecting the motions for reconsideration of Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada, and Bong Revilla paves the way for the filing of charges at the Sandiganbayan against the senators tagged in the pork barrel scam.

In a note to media, Communications Secretary Sonny Coloma said, "We note the Ombudsman’s Resolution denying the motions for reconsideration of three senators and their co-accused, which paves the way for the filing with the Sandiganbayan of plunder cases. This represents a significant step forward in the judicial process."

"Since these cases were brought to public attention, heightened citizens’ awareness about corruption and wrongdoing has led our people to insist upon higher standards in public accountability. We hope that with sustained vigilance, the people’s quest for truth and justice will be fulfilled," he added.
The 3 senators, along with others charges for the pork barrel scam, are facing a non-bailable plunder charge. If the plunder charge is elevated to the anti-graft court, they will face an arrest order from the Sandiganbayan.
The Sandiganbayan has previously ordered the detention of 2 former Presidents--Joseph Estrada and Gloria Macapagal Arroyo--for non-bailable cases.

The 3 could be the first incumbent senators detained for a non-bailable charge.