Bong's lawyer gets warning over media interviews

Posted at 07/03/2014 3:52 PM | Updated as of 07/07/2014 10:26 AM

MANILA – The lawyer of Senator Ramon ''Bong'' Revilla Jr. on Thursday was admonished by Sandiganbayan justices on Thursday for supposedly giving too many interviews.

The anti-graft court's First Division, which handles the plunder and graft cases of Revilla and others in connection to the pork barrel scam, said Atty. Joel Bodegon could be violating the ''sub judice'' rule by giving interviews after hearings.

First Division member Associate Justice Rafael Lagos said the merits of the case should not be discussed outside the court.

The justices warned that a gag order may be issued if this behavior will continue.

The justices issued the reminder to Bodegon and other members of the prosecution and defense panels as the court tackled the Office of Ombudsman's petition to suspend Revilla from office.

First Division chairman Associate Justice Efren dela Cruz gave the defense 10 days to submit their written comment on the motion.

The prosecution, on the other hand, was given five days to comment.

No bail for Napoles' brother, staff

The anti-graft court also junked the petition for bail of Ronald John Lim and Raymund de Asis after they failed to attend the hearing on Thursday.

Lim is the nephew of Napoles, while de Asis is Napoles' employee. Both remain at large.

The Sandiganbayan set the bail hearing of Napoles on July 10 at 8:30 a.m.

Revilla, Napoles, Lim and de Asis are facing plunder and graft charges over the multibillion-peso pork barrel scam.

Revilla is detained at the Philippine National Police (PNP) Custodial Center in Camp Crame.

Napoles, meanwhile, has been detained in Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna since last year for a separate case of serious illegal detention filed by whistleblower Benhur Luy. – reports from Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News; and Johnson Manabat, dzMM