Ricky Carandang resigns from ABS-CBN
MANILA, Philippines (1st UPDATE) - ABS-CBN News Channel (ANC) anchor and correspondent Ricky Carandang resigned from the network on Friday.
"ANC Management accepted the resignation of Anchor Ricky Carandang, which he submitted Friday, July 9, 2010," the statement from ANC read.
According to sources, Carandang has accepted the offer to be part of the communications team of President Benigno Aquino III.
Carandang will reportedly craft the government's messages while BusinessWorld columnist Herminio Coloma will handle operations.
Earlier Friday, Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa said that they were still talking to Carandang and former ANC's The Explainer host Manolo Quezon III to be part of the team.
Meanwhile, Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said earlier on Friday they were still finalizing the structure and composition of the communications group. They were also choosing who will lead the team.
The Philippine Information Agency (PIA) and the government-owned television and radio stations will also be part of the group.
Lacierda had said the team will be finalized within the week.
He also said that by next week, they will be able to name a deputy presidential spokesperson.
"We will leave it to the President to announce," Lacierda said. With a report from Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News