JBC deliberation on shortlist reset anew

Posted at 08/06/12 12:01 PM

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) - The Judicial and Bar Council reset deliberations for the shortlist of the next Chief Justice to August 8, Wednesday.

Sen. Francis Escudero and Iloilo Rep. Niel Tupas Jr., the 2 representatives of Congress in the JBC, said they asked for a postponement because they needed more time to study the qualifications of the CJ nominees.

The development comes after the Integrated Bar of the Philippines unanimously denied the appeal of Justice Secretary Leila de Lima to set aside her disbarment cases pending her application to become Chief Justice.

With the IBP’s decision, she may be disqualified from the screening process of the JBC.

In a phone interview, IBP spokesman Dennis Habawel told ABS-CBNnews.com that the IBP maintained that they are already doing a formal investigation against de Lima for earlier badmouthing Corona.

“She asked that we do a preliminary investigation, but we could not since it was already done by the SC,” he said.

Some quarters believe, however, that de Lima already has the blessings of President Benigno Aquino III. Last week,  the SC allowed Congress two votes in the deliberations for the shortlist.