PNoy snubbed my surrender feelers: Palparan

Posted at 08/13/14 3:51 PM

MANILA - Retired Major General Jovito Palparan admitted he sent President Benigno Aquino III surrender feelers but these were snubbed.

Palparan said he wanted to ask Aquino to ensure his security before he can surrender.

"More of assured na security, pero di ko nakuha yun... I went into hiding, hindi ako in-entertain ng president…,” he said.

Palparan earlier said the threats to his life, specifically from the communists, were real.

He said he had to escape from the law for “self-preservation.”

Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin earlier told reporters Palparan sent surrender feelers sometime last year.

"He wanted to surrender to the President. I told the President 'Why would he surrender to you?' He should surrender to us. When I said he should surrender to us, he went into hiding (again)," said Gazmin.

Authorities arrested Palparan early Tuesday, ending a three-year manhunt for a person human rights groups accuse of massive violations.

Palparan, 63, a two-star general and a one-term congressman, was found hiding in Santa (Sta.) Mesa district, near the presidential palace, by government agents and soldiers.

Gazmin said Palparan's training as a former soldier helped him elude arrest.

"We were trained not to be caught. We know tactics, techniques on escape and evasion. He probably used that. Plus, he may have friends who helped him," he said.

The Bulacan court ordered today Palparan’s transfer to the provincial jail from the National Bureau of Investigation.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima already directed the NBI to secure Palparan’s transfer because of the supposed threats. – With reports by Zyann Ambrosio, ABS-CBN News, and Reuters