Some lawmakers may have been used in scam - De Lima
MANILA - Justice Secretary Leila de Lima told lawmakers during the agency's budget hearing that some lawmakers may have only been used and did not really benefit from the so-called pork barrel scam.
De Lima made the revelation in response to statements from Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez.
The lawmaker said during the hearing on Wednesday that he is ready to face the probe of the National Buerau of Investigation (NBI) if summoned.
He also asserted his signature and the signatures of the supposed beneficiaries of his pork barrel were forged based on Commission on Audit records.
De Lima said this is the reason why they’re being careful not to release the names yet. Some lawmakers may have only been used, she said.
Earlier in the hearing, de Lima also declined Kabataan Rep. Terry Ridon's request that she name the pork barrel scam lawmakers who will soon be charged.
She said they are still finishing their report and she has instructed the NBI to craft a report that will be easily understood by the public.
At this point, they are only clear about the scheme used in the scam and not the identities of those involved yet, she said.
She added as soon as they’re done, they will endorse their investigation to the Office of the Ombudsman for disposition.
The Ombudsman is already pursuing a separate investigation.