Rolito Go risks perjury raps

Posted at 08/31/2012 9:50 AM | Updated as of 08/31/2012 3:15 PM

MANILA, Philippines - A justice department official on Friday said murder convict Rolito Go risks being charged with perjury if it is proven that he was not kidnapped but was in several casinos at the time of his disappearance.

Justice Undersecretary Francisco Baraan III said the National Bureau of Investigation will check CCTV footage and look for possible witnesses who can verify reports that Go was seen at the Resorts World Manila as well as another casino in Pampanga earlier this month.

"He is a sick man...It is very easy for him to be spotted by casino people," he told ANC's Headstart.

"If it is all a lie, he will be charged with perjury for lying in his statements under oath. He will be charged with evasion of service of sentence. It makes the situation more complicated," he added.

Go, who is convicted of killing an engineering student in 1991, was reported missing from the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City last August 14.

He later surfaced in Alabang 24 hours after his disappearance. He told police that he was kidnapped inside the prison but was released because his family had no money to pay ransom.

The Department of Justice has ordered an investigation of the incident while Bureau of Corrections chief Gaudencio Pangilinan went on indefinite leave.