Sotto forgoes PDAF for remainder of his term
MANILA - Sen. Vicente "Tito" Sotto III on Wednesday told Sen. Franklin Drilon that he is foregoing his pork barrel funds for the remainder of his term.
Sotto said his decision to forego his pork barrel funds is intended to forestall "any further controversy that may arise in the use of the priority development assistance funds (PDAF), particularly that it is a vehicle for corruption and that it is used to fund ghost projects."
The lawmaker said he previously used his PDAF for health assistance.
He said P50 million of his remaining allocations for the year should be used for specialty and regional government hospitals. He attached the list of hospitals to the letter he wrote to Drilon.
He also allocated another P50 million for the University of the Philippines and other state colleges and universities for students who cannot pay their tuition.
Sotto made the announcement amid the alleged P10 billion pork barrel scam involving some senators and congressmen.