US diplomats safe in PH – Palace

Posted at 09/16/2012 1:28 PM | Updated as of 09/16/2012 7:19 PM

 

Muslim brothers in PH more sober - Palace

MANILA, Philippines -- Malacanang assured diplomats and personnel working at the United States Embassy here that they do not need to flee the country amid fresh attacks and violence targeting their counterparts in some parts of the world.

In an interview with radio dzRB, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the government is guaranteeing the safety of the US officials in the country, citing a stronger police presence outside the US embassy following the attacks in Libya last week, which led to the death of the US ambassador there.

On Saturday, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) called for more violence against US diplomatic missions in the Middle East and Africa, and urged Muslims in the West to attack US interests, the SITE Intelligence Group said.

The US State Department has already ordered all non-essential personnel to leave Sudan and Tunisia following embassy attacks sparked by an anti-Islam video, warning US citizens against travel there.

In cities across the Muslim world, protesters have vented their fury at the "Innocence of Muslims" -- an amateur film produced in the United States -- by targeting symbols of US influence ranging from embassies and schools to fast food chains.

Nonetheless, Valte said she does not see the anti-Islam video affecting the consciousness of Muslims in the country.

“The Muslim community here always conduct themselves with good will and sobriety,” she said. - with Agence France Presse